In this post you will learn:
- What Supplies you will need to make a Fall Scarecrow deco mesh wreath
- Cutting your ribbon tails and deco mesh
- Attaching your deco mesh and ribbon tails to your wire wreath frame
- Prepping and attaching your sign
- Making your bow/bows and attaching them to your wreath
- Adding picks to your wreath
- To make a Fall Scarecrow wreath, you will need:
- Scarecrow sign
- 15″ tinsel tie wreath work form (brown, orange, burlap) any color that coordinates with your ribbons and sign
- Two rolls of 1-1/2″ wired ribbon that coordinates with your sign
- Two rolls or 2-1/2″ wired ribbon that coordinates with your sign
- 1-10″ rolls deco mesh-cream or burlap
- Cutting mat
- Rotary cutter
- Chenille stems, pipe cleaners or florist wire
- Jewelry punch
Cutting your ribbons and deco mesh:
- I used one1.5″ ribbon and one 2.5″ ribbon for my ribbon tails, Other ribbons will go into my bow/bows.
- Count you tinsel ties on your work wreath form, usually there are 10 on the bottom and 8 on the top.
- Cut 18 pieces of the 1.5″ ribbon at 13″ long
- Cut 18 pieces of the 2.5″ ribbon 13″ long
- Dovetail all ribbons
- Cut mesh 18 pieces at 20″ long of your 10″ wide deco mesh
Add your deco mesh to your wreath work form:
- Take a 20″ pieces of mesh and make a ruffle
- Open twist tie, place ruffle in the middle of the twist ties and twist to secure
- Add all around the bottom ring of the wreath frame and then the top ring of the wreath frame
Add ribbon tails to the deco mesh:
- Layer the ribbons together, smaller one on top
- Fold them in half, unfold and pinch them in the middle
- Add to twist tie and twist to secure
- Form an X with the ribbons
- Add ribbon tails all around the bottom and top rings of your wreath frame
Prep and attach sign to wreath:
- Take your jewelry punch and punch a hole in each side and bottom of sign.
- Put a chenille stem or florist wire in each hole and twist to attach
- Place sign on wreath and bring the chenille stems (through the spaces between the deco mesh) and twist onto the wire frame, securing it tightly
- Trim any excess of the chenille stem with wire cutters
- Add a chenille stem hanger to outer wire of wreath work form.
Make a Bow:
- Using an E-Z Bowmaker, take your 2-1/2″ ribbon and measure out an 18″ ribbon tail with ribbon facing up
- Twisting the ribbon as you bring it thru the 2 wooden dowels,(the ribbon will be facing down) measure 6 inches and loop the ribbon back thru the dowels
- Twisting the ribbon again as you bring it thru the dowels, (the ribbon will be facing down) measure 6 inches and loop the ribbon back thru the dowels
- Twisting the ribbon again as before one more time for a third loop, then just bring your ribbon thru the dowels without twisting it
- Measure out an 8″ tail and cut.
- Bring the 18″ ribbon tail to the bottom and the 8″ ribbon tail to the top.
- Continue with your 1-1/2″ ribbon except start on the opposite side and do the same as above.
- Add your next layer of ribbon using the 1-1/2″ ribbon starting on the opposite side, same as above instructions.
- Take 2 chenille stems and twist them together to make one long one or use florist wire.
- Hold your bow close to the dowels tightly as you remove it from the bow maker.
- Wrap chenille stem around the center and twist the bow, not the chenille stems, to tighten.
- Dovetail your ribbon tails and fluff your bow
Placement of your bow:
- Place your bow on the opposite side from the scarecrow sign.
- Place your bow on your wreath and pass the chenille stems (through the spaces between the deco mesh) and twist onto the wire frame, securing it tightly.
- Trim off any excess of the chenille stem with wire cutters.
Hope you have enjoyed this quick tutorial as much as I have sharing it with you.
Happy Wreath Creating,
The Wreath Creator